For 12 years, I did not go home.

Had not been blogging for a while because of was busy at work. =( But I intend to revive my blog again.

Recently, I read a very sad story in the newspaper. In the article, there was an interview of a prison inmate which touched me greatly. RenJie is 30 years old now and is currently serving his sentence for drug abuse. Here is part one of his story :

When he was young……
RenJie was caught for house-breaking and was sent to Boys' Home for 3 years. While in Boys’ Home, he promised his parents that he would turn over a new leaf.

“Since you do not want me, I will forsake you all!”
However, RenJie got in contact with his old friends when he came out and got back to his old ways. The parents were disappointed. One day, he got into a quarrel with his Dad and was chased out of his house. He angrily took some money and clothes and left. His mum did not stop him from leaving. In his mind, he was thinking,” Since you do not want me, I will forsake you all!”

For the past 12 years, he had not ever step into his home. Since then, had had either been seeking shelter at friends’ houses or in out and of prison.

“Even the worst of my friends had a home to turn to”
Whenever RenJie thinks about his home-less state, he would felt a pain in the heart.

The pain came especially more during festive seasons. “
During Chinese New Year, even the worst of my friends had a home to go back for reunion dinner. I had no home to go back to and sat alone in coffeeshop.”

In 2002, he was caught by police and bought back to his home by the police. He got a shock…. A new family was staying at his place. His parents had sold the house and moved out.

Since then, he had been in prison and for the last 4 years, none of his family members had ever visited him
.

I was touched when I read the part that RenJie commented that even the worst of his friends had a home to return to while he was left alone during CNY. He must have regretted the rash words he spoken to his parents when he was young and emotional.

It caused me reflect on 2 things :
a) Be slow to anger and speak while quick to listen
I need to be careful with my words and actions so that I will not say or do something I regret. Actually I realise that I can be very strong in my words when I strongly believe in some things. Therefore, I can come forth as rude and demanding at times. May I learn to season my words with grace and humility.

b) Never wait too long to say Sorry
I realize that the best time to say sorry is NOW. If you wait and wait, the negative feelings (eg bitterness, anger, rage) may cripple you and eat you up in your heart. The relationship with the other person may also dive to a point of no return.

I will write part 2 of RenJie's story on my next entry.