Elderly Serving
Last week, I brought a group of youths to serve the elderly in Toa Payoh area who are under the care of TOUCH Home Care. We basically help to clean their houses by sweeping, mopping, washing the toilets and wiping the furniture.
I am always blessed whenever I help the elderly.
For one, I become more grateful. The elderly usually stays alone and has no one to look after them. Most of them are frail and their health are not as good as before. They also do not have much savings and live day to day on just a small sum. Yet some of the elderly can still smile and joke with you. I realise that happinness and joy depends on the condition of our heart and not the condition of the things in our lives. We can be happy and joyful if we choose to see the positive out of the negative events in our lives.
It is also my heart I can inspire youths to see beyond their own needs and start to serve others. That is why I ask some of them to write down their thoughts after serving.

Hope that after reading tthis we will truly be counting our blessings instead of grumbling. And give to others for it is truly more blessed to give than to receive!

Jovian (Sec 1 Student)
Hi hi, i am somebody who had just did the elderly serving for the first time.

Actually in the first place I thought that it was boring and dirty. However,after the whole serving i changed my mind.

We first went to a tamil uncle's house,he lives in a 1 room flat.I saw that he was quite poor thing living by himself in a small place with nobody to talk to.He was reluctant to let us in his house in the first place. We convinced him that cleaning his house would only take awhile.Finally he let us into his house.We talked to him while cleaning up the small place.
He is quite a nice guy actually only because nobody has been caring for him for awhile.
Next stop was also to a tamil old man house,this old man was much more friendlier than the last guy.He was very systematic which makes him look kind of cute.We went into the little room of his and started cleaning.He told us everything we needed to clean up,after cleaning everything in his room we helped him packed his medicine.
Which was quite shocking that he actually eats 20 tablets a day...so what i actually want to tell you guys is that take care of yourselfs when you are young or else you might have lots of problem when you are old.
My comments are that elderly serving is fun although quite tired,however I think it makes the old people happier when there are people going to their house helping them cleaning up and talking to them so they do not feel that people do no care for them anymore.
Kevin (Sec 1 student)
I love it!
Kenneth (Sec 3 student)
We need to give the elderly hope in life and make them happy to enjoy the last moments in life.
Jarrell (Sec 3 student)
The elderly reminded me of my grandparents. If I can treat my grandparents very well, I can treat the elderly as the same as my grandparents.

0 comments: